Bugaboo with Recent Slackware-Current Update

Today, 16 February 2021, I ran into an interesting issue while using slackpkg to update a Slackware-Current virtual machine.

After running slackpkg update then slackpkg upgrade-all, the update of slackpkg required me to start the update process over. When I re-ran the two commands above, I got a large number of md5sum errors.

The suggestion (from slackpkg) was to update the gpg key, by running: slackpkg update gpg. This failed silently.

When I searched for solutions to this issue, I came across this post on linuxquestions.org. I shied away from the suggest of hacking slackpkg to remove the redirect of stdout and stderr to /dev/null. After looking at the code that updates the gpg signature, I decided to run gpg and see what I could figure out.

When I ran gpg with no arguments, I got:

gpg: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.33' not found (required by /usr/lib64/libreadline.so.8)

At this point, I realized that my glibc was glibc-2.32 and in the updates was glibc-2.33. So, I grabbed ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware64-current/slackware64/l/glibc-2.33-x86_64-1.txz and used upgradepkg to install (upgrade) the package.

After upgrading glibc, gpg ran with no error and I was able to use slackpkg to finish updating my system.

Happy Slacking,
Stu…

Leave a Comment